Monday, April 21, 2008

Busy Weekend

This weekend was one of the busiest weekends we have had in a long time. Eric had his space derby for cub scouts this weekend. Last year he came in 6th in the first round in every heat with my boss helping him carve the rocket. This year I did not think he would have any better luck, because I was the only one who helped him this year and was a bit discouraged in seeing all the perfect looking rockets at Friday nights test runs. I commented to Eric when we got home about all the perfectly painted rockets that the parents had obviously done. His response was: "Mine is perfectly painted to, isn't it mom!" (he did it all by himself). "Yes, Eric! It is wonderful!" I said and decided I did the right thing by letting him do the majority of the work, even if he wouldn't place again.

But very much to my suprise, in the first group of 6, Eric came in 1st place in every heat. From there he competed with the other group of Wolves top 2 rockets and he came in 3rd in the den. It was very exciting and he was so happy to place!



After the space derby I had to hurry him to a birthday party where they roller skated for 3 1/2 hours and ate pizza and ice cream, had their faces painted and had a guy making balloon swords, animals and hats. I stayed for awhile and talked to some of the moms, but went home and did some laundry and cleaned. The birthday party was a sleep over, so I had a night to myself. Me and a friend went out to dinner and had some much needed girl talk.

Sunday morning after I picked Eric up was his first meeting with his big brother. We all went to the park and Eric played while I found out a little more about Nick. Then Nick pushed Eric on the merry-go-round and all of a sudden there were 20 kids on it! Then they kicked around the soccer ball for awhile, he pushed him on the tire swing and then we went back to my apartment where they played catch for a little while and then went in and played video games. Eric was trying to cram in as much as possible! He stayed for 2 1/2 hours and they had a great time together.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats to Eric for coming in 3rd! And it's great that he painted his own rocket.

Sounds like you made a good decision choosing this big brother and they hit it off.

Risa said...

Great job Eric! :)

Luke has his pinewood derby coming up soon for Royal Rangers. He's been working on his car the last couple of weeks. Bob cut it out but he's done all the sanding on it himself. He's pretty excited about it - I think they are painting them in Rangers tonight. He said he's going to mix a bunch of different colors together to paint his car and asked what color that would be. He wouldn't accept my answer of blackish or an ugly brownish color - he had some preconceived idea in his head and that's what is going to happen with it. I guess we will wait and see! LOL