For several years, thru different agency's I have been trying to get a mentor for Eric. I originally called Big Brothers when I first became a single mother when Eric was 3 years old. They told me that the child had to be 7. I was disappointed, but continued to look for other agency's. We tried with Catholic Social Services for a year with no success when he was 6. When he turned 7 I called Big Brothers again and finally, they have matched us with someone! We met today for the first time and I couldn't be happier with the match. I was a little discouraged at first because the people they kept calling me with just weren't what I had in mind. For example, a 59 year old. The conversation with Eric was funny though.
Me: Eric, Big Brothers called today and they said they might have a match, tell me what you think. His name is Chuck.
Eric: I like the name Chuck.
Me: He's 59 years old.
Eric: Does he exercise?
Me: They said he likes to run.
Eric: I like running.
Me: He's divorced.
Eric: That's ok, I don't want no wife hanging around.
Me: You don't want to wait for someone else ?
Eric: Well, does he like video games?
Me: Probably not, older men don't seem to.
Eric: OK, we will wait for someone else.
And we waited and waited and waited. The weird thing about Big Brothers is your first meeting with the match is your commitment to each other for a year. I did not like that. They tell you several details about the person, but you can't meet them first. I was about ready to give up. But then they called with Nick. He is 22 years old, athletic, went to college, has a good job. I was nervous, but he seems great. He and Eric are getting together next Sunday to hang out for the first time and I am very excited as is Eric. He wanted him to come back today.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
That is weird that you can't meet somebody first...
But it's great that he finally found a big brother!
We tried to get a big brother for Luke when Bob was driving charter bus and wasn't home very often and the year after Matt went back to live with his mom. But Luke was only 4 at the time and they told me the same thing. I was rather disappointed as well. It seems strange that they would ask you to make a commitment before you even met the guy. Good thing it worked out! I hope Eric gets a lot of man time in and you get an occasional break! :)
How cool, hope it all works out!
Post a Comment