
In Risa's blog today she wrote about her son wanting to be a cowboy. It brought back so many memories of me, wanting to be a "rodeo girl". From as early as I can remember I wanted a horse. My neighbors had several horses and every opportunity I got I rode. I remember watching the horse shows at the fair knowing one day I was going to be there too. My dream of owning a horse came true at 13.
This is a posting from my other blog I had on Yahoo 360. Notice the cowboy hat...they guy(a real rodeo rider) who trained my horse after he bucked me off and I was terrified to ride again, had it fitted just for me. That thing was so tight on my head it left a red mark, but it never fell off!
MY FIRST LOVE
Yes, that is me, awkward and dorky looking with my first love of my life. His name was Double Moon and I was 13. Ever since I could remember I wanted a horse. I purchased Double Moon with my own money and was the happiest girl on earth! He was only 2 years old and only "green broke" meaning he had never been ridden with a saddle or bridle. He was quite a handful but I loved him more than anything in the entire world. The above picture was taken at the Pelkie Fair and boy was he beautiful that day. A couple of months before he had bucked me off and I was terrified to ride again, but I got back in the saddle and we won several blue ribbons in the horse show.
I sold Double Moon 2 years later because he was a lot to handle and I wanted a car. I sold him to a family friend and he died in their barn a couple of years later in a terrible way. For many years I had horrible nightmares about him, that I did him wrong and that he was after me. The guilt of letting him go was eating me up. I still miss him terribly.
1 comment:
That's so cute! But sad about your horse.
I love your pictures of when you were younger...that's the Emily I remember! You were always so tiny! But weren't we almost the same size when we graduated? I've "grown" a lot since then though! LOL
Jozie would love to have a horse someday too. She is wonderful with animals and rides every time she gets a chance to also...which isn't very often! LOL Usually more of a pony ride here and there. They were supposed to do a horse riding badge for GS a couple of weeks ago but her leader canceled it because she was busy...Grrr...I was almost as upset as Jozie - that lady can never seem to keep her commitments!
Post a Comment